Want to download it?
Good news, I just published the first version to test! It's not going to be fast, HDD it loaded in on demand, and there's only a little bit to do, but it's a good proof of concept. My hope is with the next version i'll have some more software and a faster web proxy for it. Try it now
ReactOS in Your Browser
- Basic VGA Support
- A small handful of windows applications
- OpenGl via software driver in ReactOS
Built in Software!
- QTWeb. Small & lightweight browser, works with most basic sites and can let you tinker
- Notepad++. Small but function text editor, included version is 6.9
- Basic 2D games
- Updated mesa SW implementation, likely better optimized
- Ship with VBEMP as I believe it'll update the screen a bit faster on V86 VS the ReactOS built-in driver.
- Ship with SB16 driver. I just need to find one that work in ReactOS and supports the SB16 sound card.
- Shrink the main ReactOS image, include programs on separate drive (v86 is currently experiencing issues with this)
- Self-hosted websocket proxy for SSL and higher networking speeds. Currently the one V86 uses is very slow. (this will likely cost me monthly)
Performace Plans / Improvements
- V86 author has said he's working on performance improvements for the emulator
- ReactOS memory manager is being heavily improved which will help stability and performance
- Will test compiling ReactOS with heavy optimizations
- Possibly stripping out unneeded functions from V86 to lighten that might help? It's unlikely I'll sit down and try this.
- I would LOVE to get openGl acceleration for at least rendering, but this is more of a pipedream than anything else.
Here is ReactOS running online with full networking support!